The Jericho Stewardship Group is a registered non-profit organization comprising residents, students, naturalists and other non-profit groups, that works with the Vancouver Park Board to restore and encourage the natural habitat of Jericho Beach Park.
Our main activities include:
- removal of existing non-native shrub and tree species
- planting of new native trees and shrubs
- maintenance of newly planted areas
We also give walks and talks in the Park, do an annual release of mason bees in the spring and monitor and record some of the plant and animal species.
MONTHLY STEWARDSHIP EVENTS
If you would like to get involved, then join us on the second Sunday of every month (weather and holidays permitting).
Upcoming work parties are currently scheduled for the following dates:
Sunday October 20
Work parties are from 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. and we meet at the wooden bridge over the pond.
Come dressed for the elements and know you’re likely to get dirty! We’ll provide tools, cinnamon buns and a sense of purpose – we hope to see you there!
ECOLOGICAL RESTORATION OPPORTUNITY
Ecological Restoration in Vancouver – Saturdays, Sept. 21 to Oct. 26, 2019, 10 AM to 12 noon
In the two indoor sessions at Mt. Pleasant Community Centre, we’ll learn about the City of Vancouver’s “Greenest City Action Plan,” the Vancouver Park Board’s “Biodiversity Plan,” and “The Wisdom of Plants and Indigenous Stewardship” with educator and herbalist Lori Snyder.
- Sept. 21 Mt. Pleasant Community Centre. Greenest City Action Plan. Speaker TBA.
- Sept 28 Trout Lake Bog Restoration. Echo Ecological
- Oct. 5 Jericho Beach Park. Jericho Stewardship Group
- Oct 12 Still Creek. Still Creek Streamkeepers
- Oct 19 Mt. Pleasant Community Centre. The Wisdom of Plans and Indigenous Stewardship. Lori Snyder.
VPB’s Biodiversity Plan– Krista Voth.
- Oct 26 Everett Crowley Park. Everett Crowley Park Committee
Details of meeting spots will be sent to registrants.
Register online at Vancouver Recreation, by phone at 604-257-3080 or in person at 1 Kingsway. All fitness levels welcome. Ages 16+. $50.00.