JSG has monthly work party events to remove invasive plants and plant native species, depending on the season. Volunteers are the foundation of JSG and how we perform our work. We welcome volunteers from all walks of life to our monthly work parties and to help with other supporting tasks.
By volunteering with JSG, you can:
- Explore your passion for nature and the environment
- Learn about native and invasive plants and why invasives are a problem
- Make a difference and give back to your community
- Get outside, be active and have fun working with others
If you want to join our dynamic team of volunteers, come to our next workparty (usually the second Sunday). Or join our email list and we’ll send you a reminder a few days before each workparty.
JULY 9, 2020: The Vancouver Parks Board has approved outdoor stewardship activities with Covid-19 safety measures in place. Hence, we will be returning to our monthly work parties.
Our next work party will be:
We meet at 9:30 a.m. at the wooden bridge over the pond at Jericho Beach Park and will move out from there to work throughout the park. Dress for the elements and working conditions – you’ll probably get dirty and have fun doing so. We’ll provide tools and a sense of purpose.
**Due to COVID-19 we will observe changes to our regular work party setup to ensure the safety of our volunteers:
- We will assign sections of the work area to individuals in order to promote 2m distancing throughout.
- We will have a container for “clean” tools and a second container for “used” tools which will be sanitized after the event.
- Tarps will be assigned to 1-2 volunteers in order to reduce contact.
- Volunteers who own gardening gloves, please bring your own. We will have a bag of clean gloves available as well – volunteers will be asked to keep these gloves at the end of the work party.
- We ask that volunteers please bring their own snack and beverages.